We have better visuals and many placeholders are being replaced by real assets. The game is looking very good.
We have success! Our animation system is complete after many hours of intimidating the code to work properly. Our wizard graphics programmer Jacob “Charles” Morris seemed happy after the first animation appeared on screen. We want to share our happiness:
Other things that happened today: I got my particles exporting and importing to a XML file. This may look like the matrix to someone else, but to the trained eye, it is beauty in the form of a file.
We have this month to work on the Alpha stage of the game. This is how its looking after week 1:
Our great artist Jordan just gave us the new updated Base Core that you need to defend in order to win the game. Also some testing with Orbital Strike was done. I managed to get particles in the game, and have been playing around with some special effects.
I implemented the Particle system using Direct X’s Point Sprites and flyweight pattern. The emitters can be changed to have different behaviors. The variables I included for customizing the particles include: Particles Size, Life, Speed, Gravity, and Color. All of these parameters take in a Min value and a Max value; then the emitter randomizes between the Min and Max values for each particle it emits, that way we can have variety and “random” particle emission.
Today we have to turn in our game-play for dinocalypse. We have been working hard all week to have the functionality in. Sound Effect integration went nice and smooth. The AudioManager was ready and had all the functionality to make all the music and sounds work with the game. After integrating that, I took ever the HUD and the minimap. The HUD was pretty straight forward, and didn’t present many problems, it was just a matter of tedious work to get everything to render in the right place.
The minimap on the other hand, presented a bit more of a challenge. For some reason our exporter was inverting the Z-axis, and everything in the world is mirrored. All the objects that are supposed to be on the left of the map are on the right and vice versa.
To show that the player is taking damage, I made 3 red semi-transparent images, each with more red than the previous and getting closer to the center. When the player starts taking damage, I overlap these textures on top of each other to simulate a gradient of hurt levels. I can detect what the level of ‘hurt’ is, and communicate this to the player by making the screen more red or less red.
This is the second iteration of the HUD. A little has changed. The player hurt images arent crayon drawn anymore.