For the untrained eye, this will look ugly and simple, but it represents hours of code and debugging. We have basic functionality in our engine, and in order to test it, we need placeholders; that’s why it looks kind of ugly.
So this week I have been implementing the sound banks for the games. We decided on Wwise because of all the features it offers. It has the ability of setting all the behaviors in the authoring tool, and trigger those behaviors with code inside the game engine. Getting used to the terminology and learning the C++ API has been the most challenging part so far.
I succesfully integrated sound effects to the game and baground music for different Game States. In case you were wondering, this is what WWise looks like:
I’ve been working today on the concept for our Heads Up Display or HUD. The HUD is basically all the information that will be displayed on the screen during gameplay. First I had to determine what information we wanted to display and how important it is. Depending on its importance, we give it a certain amount of screen space. The more important, the larger the element on the HUD.
For our game, we need to display:
Our good artist Tyler E. came up with some really cool concept art for our game Dinocalypse. Check it out:
More work and more work to be done. He have to get the game document complete by Tuesday, and Panic Button Studios will be working the whole weekend, to achieve the best results.
We have divided the sections of the document, and each member is working on their respective part. We have to flesh out all the details of the game by this point, from the Dinosaurs attributes and attacks, to the algorithms that determine which dino the turrets will target at a given time.
I have been doing some charts and pictures to figure out the dinosaur spawning. Our tower defense is wave based, so this system plays a major role in determining the pace of the game.
There are 5 different gates from which the dinosaurs can spawn. One of the first things we wanted to keep in mind for wave spawning is replayabilty: We wanted to prevent the player from memorizing the different gates and spawns after playing the game a few times. To solve this, each time a new game starts, all gates get assigned a different random letter, that represents a spawn point. By doing this, we change around the places where the dinosaurs are coming from, without having to change the wave composition and timing.
Another thing we wanted to do with the wave system, is to adjust the different waves depending on how well/bad the player is doing. So if the player is starting to struggle, we might reduce the intensity and number of dinosaurs in the waves. On the other hand, if the player is killing all the dinos really fast, we want to challenge the player by increasing the difficulty of the waves.
This week we have been working hard on creating a storyboard for what the player might be experiencing in the game. These prototypes and concepts were done with Google Sketchup and Paint .NET
With these concept art pieces, we try to get a feel of what the game looks like from the player’s perspective. Its important to think of the game from the eyes of the person that is going to be playing, so we can pay close attention to the details that the player might notice from his camera perspective. Also we try to sketch up everything the player might experience, like dying, shooting, running, etc.
GP Games has given us the green light for Dinocalypse, a 3d Shooter-Tower Defense student game project. The whole studio started working on concept art and game flow ideas, and after 3 weeks of hard work, he have come up with a really fun concept for a videogame.
Dinocalypse is a frantic 3rd person tower defense located on a prehistoric planet where a colony of Space Marines struggle to survive against hordes of ravenous dinosaurs.
As Captain, you will protect your base by engaging dinosaurs with your pulse rifle and placing defensive structures. As the fight continues, the player can upgrade his weapon and structures to better defend the base. Should the player be overwhelmed, he can call down an orbital strike to help clear out the area.
Hey wassup, just got done with the client side for a pong online game using UDP. Check it out:
It’s a simple pong game that bounces a meatball between two players. The server sends updates of the game state to all of the clients, which send messages about changes in the players input. Got the server side half way complete.
Update: Client side working with sequencing, YAY!
Its all fun and games until someone looses an eye.
Awsome shortfilm, only 9 minutes long. She is angry at him because he takes everything too far… And she falls for chocolates.